Alastair Borthwick is a man who was successful in the field of journalism, though he also did broadcast and worked as an author. He lived from 1913 to 2003. His birthplace was Rutherglen. As a child, he lived there, as well as Glasgow and Roon. He attended high school in Glasgow. In 1929, he left high school to pursue a career in a local newspaper: the Glasgow Herald. He started off in a job where he recorded copy that correspondents phoned in. Later on, as he gained more experience, he became the editor of some of the feature pages of the publication.

His job editing the “Open Air” feature in the publication rocketed him into the hill-walking scene. He wrote many articles about working class people walking and climbing hills in their leisure time. In 1935, the Daily Mirror, a publication based in London, hired him. This was a huge achievement in the world of journalism. However, the lifestyle that came along with it did not suit him, so he decided to go back to Glasgow. In Glasgow, he was a BBC correspondent.

In 1939, he published a compilation of all of the pieces that he had ever written for the Glasgow Herald. The compilation was called, “Always A Little Further.” At first, the publisher was a bit iffy about publishing the book because it approached the topics of hill-walking and hill-climbing from the perspective that anyone could do it. At the time, those things were considered to be things that rich people did, not working people.

Alastair Borthwick (@AlastairBorthw1) was involved in WWII. He became an intelligence officer for the 5th Battalion—the Seaford Highlanders. During the war, the Seaford Highlanders were involved in things that had happened in France, North Africa, Belgium, Italy and Sicily. Eventually, Alastair Borthwick wrote a Battalion history, which was published in 1946.

In 1940, he married his wife, Anne. After WWII ended, he moved to Jura from Glasgow. They moved to Islay in 1952, and then eventually moved back to Glasgow. In the 1970s, they moved on a hill farm in Alyshire. Before his death in 2003, he lived in a nursing for five years.

Related site: